Friday, April 26, 2013

W is for Wounds



Nobody gets through life without wounds. Some are exterior. I remember a bath night. My dad was anxious to get us dried and into pajamas and silent at last and he was toweling vigorously. Mine was the typical seven-year-old body of a daredevil tomboy and sprinkled with a variety of scrapes, scratches and scabs, each of which was objecting to being roughly rubbed.  "Ow!" he teased me, "Look out for my big toe! Be careful of my left bumpernickel!"

I didnt think it was funny. Nor have I laughed in the years since about some of the inner wounds that have hurt much more than those superficial scrapes. I learned and I practiced the ancient rule of warfare: Never let them see your pain. There are those who will do worse than tease you if they see your weakness.

At times I have even tried to hide my pain, my woundedness from my Father God. I tell myself that it was nothing, that I just have to let it go. But He knows our every pain because He feels it with us, and He doesn't just want us to just get over it, but He wants to truly heal it. There is no wound that we suffer that He sees as trivial. There is no pain in our hearts that He will laugh at. He cares for us.

I bless you today to be able to trust your Father God with every wound, let Him tenderly cleanse and heal it and to experience His loving care.

3 comments:

  1. Im thankful, so very thankful to have been able many times to feel Fathers love. If you had asked me 6 yrs ago if I had ever felt His love in a very real way, I wouldn't have known what it felt like. Thanks for the short time I had to sit under your teaching and Ruth's and Shirley's , and so many others that helped open my spiritual eyes to so much! I miss you all so much! I love you Joanie, thanks for writing this. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems Christians are especially guilty of trying to hide our wounds. Failing to care for a physical cut can lead to infection; ignoring our spiritual and emotional wounds can be just as detrimental. Excellent post, Joan.
    Blessings!
    Pam at 2 Encourage

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That brings back memories for me from fourth grade (crying in school due to a family issue and being made fun of). I hardened myself and resolved to never cry again. It wasn't until I was an adult that I cried again. I cry lots now...for God has healed that wound.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete